We as women have many hormones in the body and one of the major ones for a woman is estrogen. Estrogen must be found in the correct levels for the body. Being short of estrogen is not a good thing because low estrogen will cause a number of undesirable symptoms. In opposition, having too much estrogen is not a good state to be in and will cause serious health problems for women.
Hormones must be balanced in the body in order for us to live health lives. When you are prescribed bioidentical estrogen, you must also take progesterone because estrogen will counteract the negative effects of estrogen. Without natural bioidentical progesterone, you will find yourself in a state of estrogen dominance which has its own negative symptoms which you don’t want to have.
What causes estrogen dominance? The following is a list of things that cause estrogen dominance:
1) Synthetic hormone replacement therapy due to the excessively high doses of synthetic estrogen and the use of progestins and not bioidentical progesterone.
2) Premenopause: early onset of premenopause causes early follicle dysfunction resulting in a lack of natural progesterone production, and the loss ovulation
3) Exposure to xenoestrogens in the environment which causes early premenopause
4) Taking birth control pills which causes the cessation of natural hormone production and contain excessive estrogen in the pills composition.
Most of the diseases that are listed below, major health risks to women are caused by estrogen dominance: The risks for these diseases especially increase as a woman grows older and reaches menopause.
1) Uterine fibroids
2) Breast cancer
3) Uterine cancer
4) Fibrocytic breast
6) Ovarian cancer
7) Premenopausal bone loss
8. Osteoporosis in menopausal women
Estrogen dominance will cause the following side effects/symptoms:
1) Acceleration of the aging process
4) Autoimmune disorders such as lupus, thyroiditis and Sjorgren’s disease
5) Breast cancer
6) Breast tenderness
7) Decreased libido
9) Fat gain
11) fibrocystic breasts
12) Foggy thinking
16) Increased blood clotting (meaning: risk of strokes)
17) Thyroid dysfunction
19) Uterine Cancer
20) Uterine fibroids
21) Water retention, bloating
As nobody in their right mind wants to put up with these side effects and diseases which come especially at the time of menopause when you are at a greater health risk, it’s best to get your hormone levels checked regularly and use bioidentical hormones to achieve balance in the body. Make sure you are using natural bioidentical progesterone.